Monday, October 02, 2006


The first few blocks clamped up....Great making day again, didn't get a hell of a lot done but very happy. Spied an old piece of white glass I picked up years ago that is solid colour throughout, impossible to get these days, its the same stuff that the clock face of city hall is made out of, vitrolite, and thought I'd do something with it, a hall table came to mind but there wasn't much timber about other than a eucalypt pallet which theres a lot of timber in and it looks good planed up but there are so many flaws in in that I had to fuck that Idea off, until I spat on the end grain and found the most fantastic colouring, Cut a few 80x65x40mm blocks up and spent a while getting all square, the planer went stupid for a minute and was going at about 40 rpm but unplugged it and replugged it and it was fine. Anyway the model of the table below will now be made out of this stuff, rectangles rather than squares, spend tomorrow cutting up 169 of the bastards, hopefully won't have to plane the end grain too much (frightening on the bench plane) and can just chuck the orbital on it. Having a little trouble with this new glue staining the end grain but it doesn't penetrate more than a couple of chisel scrapes.